Fire Hazard Warning

Reported by: Megan Wise
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 7/24/2014 6:47 pm
The Chattanooga Fire Department has a warning to share about a potential fire hazard.

The hazard involves air conditioners in homes and vehicles. To save money, some AC repair companies are using propane as a refrigerant. The downside is that propane is highly flammable and explosive. The propane is being called "22a" or "R22a." The EPA says it is not designed for air conditioners in homes or vehicles. Rick Boatwright, Chattanooga Fire Department Battalion Chief said, "If someone did put propane into a refrigerant system its just highly flamable. Any leak, from an automobile getting hot, so does your HVAC system. The explosion hazard is high. It causes fire and its very dangerous for the firefighters."

So far there have been no local incidents due to this fire hazard.
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.