Fire destroys Hamilton County duplex

Reported by: Erik Avanier
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 3/26 6:31 pm
HAMILTON COUNTY, Tennessee(WDEF) - Two Harrison Bay families were displaced Wednesday evening after a fire raged out of control.

It happened on the 5500 block of Jewell Road.

Authorities say it started as a kitchen grease fire that quickly spread throughout the duplex.

The fire was so big that smoke was visible from downtown Chattanooga which was more than 10 miles away.

Fire officials report Kevin McKenzie was home at the time cooking in the kitchen. He explained the grease caught fire and spread throughout the kitchen. He ran outside to notify the other tenant next door, Mr. Daniel Jimenez

"I saw black smoke coming from the next door apartment and found out the apartment was on fire. So I got my kids out," Jimenez said.

Nearby neighbor, Billy Cole pulled out his cell phone and started taking video.

"Both sections were on fire. The blaze was pretty bad and then as it went on it started to get the back of the BMW," Cole said.

Hamilton County EMS spokesperson, Amy Maxwell said there were no injures but damage to the duplex was pretty severe.

"It's a total loss. The families didn't have insurance. One family consisted of two adults and three children," Maxwell said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the two families that were displaced.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
 
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.