RED BANK, Tennessee - Firefighters say two people were inside a Red Bank home when it caught on fire.
It happened on the 300 block of West Midvale early Monday afternoon.
Investigators say two people were asleep inside the home when the fire ignited. They smelled smoke then quickly evacuated the home to call authorities.
"When we arrived on the scene,we noticed there was some heavy fire in the first two rooms and went in to knock that fire down," said Red Bank Fire chief Mark Mathews.
Nearby family members of the fire victims rushed to the house on foot only to find their loved ones taking shelter at a neighbors house.
Investigators say the blaze erupted as a result of unattended smoking material. Two front rooms had the most fire damage while the rest of the home sustained heavy smoke and water damage.