Consumers may not realize it, but there are potential dangers in your home. A common culprit in many homes is mold.
Angie Hicks of Angie's List explained, "There is a minimal level of mold in every house and a lot of times you might find it in your bathroom or your basement, but the key here is keeping it at a minimal level and if you find that you have more mold you want to have it taken care of right away."
The experts say if you have less than 10 square feet of mold damage, you could tackle removing that yourself.
Mike Honan is a Mold and Asbestos Abatement Contractor. He added, "Typically, they can - there are options where they can actually remove it themselves. It depends on the situation, but the majority of the time they should seek some help because once you disturb the mold then the spores tend to spread so we are trying to in our situation control that environment."
Radon is another possible toxin that could be present in your home - but you can test for that too.
Betsie Trammell is a Laboratory Manager. She explained, "The best method to collect a sample is a short-term test it is the quickest, cheapest and most reliable way and that is just going to give you a snap shot of the radon in your home. It's going to give you a base line for whether your level was low or high. From there you can do further testing or do mitigation as needed."
Exposure to asbestos can cause different forms of cancer. If you are concerned your home has one of these toxins the first step is to get your home tested.