Don Brown, like most people, looks for a little iron in his cereal, but not when it comes in the form of a nail.
Brown adds, "I swallowed and felt a pain in my throat. I held the cup up, I kind of gagged a little, and spit the nail back out in the bowl."
Brown says, the nail we measured at almost one inch, came from a box of Honey Nut Bunches of Oats Yougurt Blends.
It is a box he bought at a grocery store in Chattanooga.
Brown adds, "It's the only place it could have come from, out of the box, brand new box."
So, immediately, Brown says he bagged up the cereal, bowl, and nail, and called the manufacturer, Post Foods.
Brown adds, "She said well, if you happen to go to the doctor, got a medical bill, you can let me know about it."
Well, Brown tells us he did have to go the doctor, but he is not looking to be reimbursed for the Tetnus shot he had to get.
Brown says, "I told her I'm not wanting anything for doing this, not money, not wanting to sue anybody, I just want to make sure that someone doesn't eat this."
After five days, and no word from Post Foods, WDEF got involved.
A spokesperson asked us not to record her voice, but she did say they are investigating the matter.
She also said metal detectors were working the day this box was produced.
Brown says, "They have not called me again. Nothing has been done."
And that is what anger's Brown.
The spokesperson says a so-called retrieval kit was sent to Brown, however they could not tell us when it was sent, and Brown has yet to receive it.
Brown adds, "If I can keep the nail out of one child's throat by making people more aware of it, that's what I want to do."
We contacted the store in which the cereal came from, and their spokesperson said they have never any reports of that situation or a similar situation.
Post Foods released a statement, it reads, "On February 20th, Post Foods was contacted by a consumer who said he found a foreign object in a box of Honey Bunches of Oats. We are investing this matter with the cooperation of the consumer.
All Post plants follow federally mandated good manufacturing practices, including the use of metal detectors. We have confirmed that the metal detectors were properly operating on the day the product was produced. We have sent a retrieval kit to the consumer to further help in the investigation."