Kenneth Dodd has lived near Winnifred Drive for almost three decades, and says never before has he seen the remnants of a meth lab explosion.
Dodd adds, "Never had to deal with anything like this before."
Around three Tuesday morning, Fort Oglethorpe Police say they got a call from a local hospital saying Barry Cook, 37, was there with suspicious looking burns all over his body.
Lieutenant Steve Blevins, with the Fort Oglethorpe Police Department, says, "Officers that had initially responded detected an odor that we associate with methamphetamine manufacturing. It's a heavy chemical smell."
Police say the smell came from a travel trailer.
They believe Cook mixed Sudafed and colman fuel oil, along with several other ingredients.
Blevins adds, "The fumes from the process itself had gathered up inside the small area and he had an open flame of some sort, which caused a flash fire inside the trailer."
Officers on scene say they are surprised the whole trailer did not go up in flames.
Blevins adds, "There's absolutely no reason the trailer didn't burn down considering the circumstances."
There were children just feet away, inside the home where the trailer was parked, but no one else was hurt, just Cook with second and third degree burns on his arms, legs, and face.
Blevins adds, "I believe that family at this residence has been trying to help this individual; he's taking advantage of that."
Police say for the last couple of weeks Cook's father has allowed him to stay here.
His plan we are told was to prove himself at his new job, check into rehab, and then continue his employment.
No word on if that will happen, but right now charges are pending.
Blevins says, "He made a mistake that's going to be hard to recover from."
Police say charges will probably include manufacturing methamphetamine.
As for the trailer, well, it is still there.
City codes enforcement will decide what needs to be done with it.