Supermarket Guru New Product Review for the week of May 20

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 5/21/2013 9:40 am
I'm Phil Lempert with the New Product Hits & Misses,

Tully's Coffee

Medium Roast Coffee K Cups

Hawaiian Blend

I love coffee and I love Kona coffee, which is why I was excited at this new blend. However, this only contains 10% Hawaiian coffee and it doesn't even identify what the other 90% is. Not fair! tell us and let us decide.Is it good? Absolutely, but is it as good as Kona? Not even close. Retails for $8.79 for 12 count. Total Score 84.

Melt

Organic Buttery Spread

Honey Flavor

is our first hit.

If you're looking to replace butter this is actually a good choice. Made from a blend of different organic plant oils and honey, this would even be good on toast by itself. The honey actually masks the oil taste. Dairy free with 425 mg of omega 3s. One tablespoon is 80 calories, 9 grams of fat and 2 grams of sugars. Retails for $4.99 for 13 oz. Total Score 87.

Don't Go Nuts
Soy Butter

Slightly Sweet

is a hit.

This is actually one of the best tasting soy butters I've had. The description is 'Slightly Sweet' and that's true. One tablespoon is 6 grams of fat and 2 grams of sugars with 5 grams of protein. It's very smooth and much less gritty than a lot of other soy butters. Unless you're a peanut butter aficionado this one is a terrific alternative. Retails for $7.49 for 16 oz. Total score 91.

SunRype

Fruitsource Superfruits Bar

Mango Mangosteen

is a hit.

This is 100% fruit, zero fat, with 29 grams of naturally occurring sugars, there is no sugar added. The consistency is that of a moist, fresh fruit. The flavor is spectacular and there's no question that this would satisfy anybody's craving for a candy bar, but is a lot better for you. Perfect afternoon pick me up. Retails for $1.29 for 1.3 oz. Total Score 92.

Beanitos

Restaurant Style Chip

White Bean with Sea Salt Flavor

is our hit of the week.

We really are getting healthier on the supermarket shelves. These tortilla chips are made from a recipe of navy beans and whole grain rice. They're crispy and delicious. 6 grams of protein in just one bag and just over 10 grams of fat. Low in sodium , gluten free and high fiber. And the right crunch for any salsa or cheese. Retails for $1.25 for 1.5 oz. Total Score 93.
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Featured Partners
www.baylorschool.org/summer
Experience Baylor summer camp - a 70 year tradition of summer fun and adventure. What are you waiting for? Make the most of summer by signing up today!
www.comcast.com/cable-internet-packages.html
Get started at $79.99 a month for 12 months. Plus, get a $75 VISA® Prepaid card.
www.STNS.org
Register now for St. Nicholas summer camp whose mission & purpose is to provide a fun learning experience for children, developing physical, cultural, social and intellectual abilities.
www.bojangles.com
Click here to enter for your chance to win a Bojangles Breakfast Combo. Then, watch WDEF News 12 This Morning for daily winner announcements!
 
Supermarket Guru
From The Archives
Scenic City Roots
Through Irish Eyes
Brand News
Prime Mashup
What's Trending
Stay Connected with WDEF News 12
 
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.