CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee(WDEF) - A Chattanooga family is displaced after a seven year old started a fire inside their home.
It happened Friday evening on the 3200 block of Perry street.
Jasmeen Morgan said she was inside the home with her baby daughter and her nephew when the fire started.
Morgan was babysitting her nephew who was in the back room. She said she though he was playing with his toys but he was really playing with a cigarette lighter by igniting several different material on fire that were on the floor.
Morgan said her nephew came into the front room and admitted he was playing with a cigarette lighter in the rear bedroom but just as she was about to scold him for what he did, she noticed the smoke detector going off.
"I ran back to the bedroom and saw the fire and I'm thinking, Oh my gosh, let me try to put this out. What do I do? It's too big and there's smoke coming out and I'm trying not to inhale the smoke and I can't tame the fire," Morgan said.
Morgan grabbed her baby and her nephew and they all got out of the house unharmed.
Morgan said she then realized she left the family bird inside the living room and tried to go back in but said the smoke was too thick. Once fire crews arrived, they were able to rescue the bird.
Damage is estimated at $20,000.
Morgan and her mother were renting the home and said they most likely will have to find a new place to rent.
The family is now receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.