Two fires, seven people, including three children left without a roof over their heads after fires at Boynton Terrace and Rubio Street in the past 48 hours.
The cause according to Bruce Garner,"Food on the stove, cooking fires."
He feels more care needs to be taken in the kitchen to prevent future fires in the Chattanooga area.
"People are distracted, they put a pot of grease on the stove or something like that, then they get busy, get on the phone, they start talking to people, or the lie down and take a nap, while they're asleep that's when a fire breaks out in the kitchen".
Award winning Chef, Phillipe Gehin of Virginia College in Chattanooga has seen cooking fires in both his personal and professional life and offers advice on how to put a fire out if it starts in your kitchen.
"Like emptying the can of flour to smother it, as I said be very careful, people associate fire with water but this is not always true".
Insurance Agent Mitchell Beene says you are covered even if you don't have a smoke alarm but there are more important things than your house.
"The most important thing is that you get out of the house because we can always replace property but we cannot replace people".
For more information on kitchen fires, http://www.chattanooga.gov/fire-department and http://tn.gov/commerce/sfm/