CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee -(WDEF) An Elderly couple is lucky to be alive after an electrical fire destroyed part of their home.
It happened around 1 A.M. on the 200 block of Winchester Street.
Fire investigators said a female resident told firefighters a smoke alarm woke her up. When she ran to the rear bedroom to alert her husband, she saw an electrical outlet beside the bed, on fire. She woke up her husband and both escaped unharmed.
A police officer noticed the family dog lying just inside the front door and pulled it to safety.
Authorities said most of the fire damage was contained to the back of the home.
The couple reportedly told firefighters they would be staying with a relative while their home undergoes repairs.