TUNNEL HILL, GA, (WDEF-TV) A fire on Christmas Day claimed the life of a 66-year-old wheelchair bound man.
William Lackhouse, who suffered seizures that paralyzed one of his legs and one of his arms, smelled smoke whild in the house ten minutes after he was left alone.
His family had left to deliver Christmas presents, but quickly turned around to attend to the fire.
Homeowner, Oscar Dixon, was the first on the scene and tired to help save Lackhouse.
Fire investigator, Ken Palmer, explained that the fire was too intense for Dixon to get into the house.
“As soon as Mr. Dixon opened the door the hear black just knocked him back.” Palmer then added, “Mr. Dixon wasn’t able to make the rescue due to the amount of smoke, heat, and fire.”
The fire is still under investigation, and the trailer home was a total loss.