CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee -(WDEF) A house fire left one family homeless and is blamed for the deaths of at least a dozen cats.
It happened early Saturday morning at 1106 Elaine Trail.
Investigators say when crews made entry into the burning two-story home, the found at least 50 cats inside. 12 of the animals reportedly died as a result of the fire.
The McKamey Animal Center was called in to handle the cats that survived while the family was forced to stay with relatives.
Investigators say the the fire was accidentally started by an electrical malfunction.