Rossville Home Gutted By Fire

Reported by: Webb Wright
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 10/17/2013 6:44 pm
        A home on Eric Drive in Rossville is now just a blackened shell after an early morning fire.
        "It'll probably be totaled out. The three bedrooms on the north end of the contents were saved, they are going to be smoky and wet. The fire actually went up into the attic and ruined the attic on the north end," said Walker County Fire Marshall Waymond Westbrook.
        A quick wake up may have saved the lives inside.
        "The alarm clock had gone off at 7am, and she told me she mashed the snooze button, went back to sleep and then when it went off the next time, she started smelling smoke and looked out the window of the bedroom and saw a bright light, and at that point it just escalated to we have a fire let's get out of the house," said Westbrook.
       All three occupants were able to escape without injury after trying to battle the fire.
       "I understand two of the occupants attempted to get water out of the kitchen and try to extinguish the fire of course that would have been a delay, but fortunately they had doors on the back of the house and were able to get out that way," said Westbrook.
       The blaze is still under investigation, but fire officials are pointing to one key piece of evidence.
       "We do have an electrical outlet on that front porch , there was something plugged in to it. I traced down the wire and found a small light which is like it would have gone to maybe a one of these plastic pumpkins or some type of decoration found that, and that's a strong suspect at this point."
        According to the National Fire Protection Association, Halloween decorations cause more than one thousand structure fires each year, an average of six deaths and 53 injuries, with damage estimates at just over 16 million dollars. Fire fighters say accident prevention is key.
        "Make sure whatever product you've got it has that little UL label on it and then you know when you are not using it, unplug it, definitely if you are going to be gone from home, unplug it, go to bed unplug it."
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Featured Partners
www.baylorschool.org/summer
Experience Baylor summer camp - a 70 year tradition of summer fun and adventure. What are you waiting for? Make the most of summer by signing up today!
www.comcast.com/cable-internet-packages.html
Get started at $79.99 a month for 12 months. Plus, get a $75 VISA® Prepaid card.
www.STNS.org
Register now for St. Nicholas summer camp whose mission & purpose is to provide a fun learning experience for children, developing physical, cultural, social and intellectual abilities.
www.bojangles.com
Click here to enter for your chance to win a Bojangles Breakfast Combo. Then, watch WDEF News 12 This Morning for daily winner announcements!
 
Supermarket Guru
From The Archives
Scenic City Roots
Through Irish Eyes
Brand News
Prime Mashup
What's Trending
Stay Connected with WDEF News 12
 
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.