Red Wolves win first ever playoff game, advance to semis

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (Press Release) – The Red Wolves hosted North Texas SC on Saturday night in the quarterfinals of the USL League One Playoffs, the club’s first appearance. The match started brilliantly for the Red Wolves in the 7th minute, as Jonathan Ricketts put in a dangerous cross that was knocked into goal by a North Texas defender, the club’s first ever postseason goal to go 1-0 up inside 10 minutes.

The remainder of the first half would be played at a rapid pace on both ends, with both sides instituting a high press with explosive play. In the 27th minute, North Texas would see a straight red card for Lucas Da Silva for a high elbow on Juan Galindrez. The red card gave the Red Wolves more control in the match and allowed the home side to cruise to a 1-0 halftime lead.

The second half would continue the pace of play from the first half, with electric football on both ends of the pitch. Down a man, North Texas would tie the game in the 68th minute as Kamungo pounced on a loose pass to tie the match at 1-1. The Red Wolves would control the remaining 20 minutes but be left begging at the death as Rey Ortiz saw a beautiful effort go inches over.

The Red Wolves would come out of the gate flying in the second half, as Juan Galindrez and Daniel Navarro hit the woodwork. With chances flying, the end of the first period of stoppage time would have a sour note as Rey Ortiz received a questionable second yellow card on an impeded throw-in. However, the Cardiac Red Wolves would not be denied, and Juan Galindrez would bundle in the game winning goal in the 113th minute with pandemonium ensuing in CHI Memorial Stadium.

The 2,017 supporters in attendance brought the noise all night long, and the Red Wolves defended the den for the club’s first playoff victory. The Red Wolves will now travel to Greenville next weekend, to take on Greenville Triumph SC in the USL League One Semi Final.

Categories: Sports, Sports – Local Sports News, Sports – Soccer