Candle May Be To Blame For Foust Street Fire

CHATTANOOGA, TN (WDEF) – Charita Morgan and her husband hadn’t been at work very long before they got a devastating phone call.

Bruce Garner with the Chattanooga Fire Department, says, "Smoke and flames were coming out the windows and out the attic eave."

The couple’s Foust Street home went up in flames around eight Tuesday morning.

Luckily, their three daughters were at school.

Janice Wellington, Morgan’s Aunt, says, "I cried.  Now they don’t have anywhere to stay."

While tears flowed, Chattanooga firefighters worked to figure out what caused more than 50-thousand dollars worth of damage.

They determined a candle was most likely left unattended on a dresser.

Garner adds, "The main thing we want to emphasize is … We know people like candles. They look pretty and smell nice too, but they’re an open flame, and an open flame can cause fires instantly."

Chattanooga firefighters say treat a candle like you would a cigarette butt.

Garner adds, "Respect what they can do. Make sure they’re completely out."

Make sure your candles are in a sturdy container, and blow them out before you leave the room or go to sleep.

That could help prevent what the Morgans are now feeling … A lot of heartache.

Wellington says, "That’s my niece and I love her very much, and I’m here to do whatever I can for her you know?"

Family members tell us they’ll pick up where the local Red Cross leaves off.

Wellington adds, "Your family is really all you have, so if you don’t have family, you don’t have nothing so."

Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee are also helping the Morgan’s.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *