Carbon Monoxide levels force apartment evacuations

No one was hurt and tenants were eventually allowed back in their homes

CHATTANOOGA (WDEF) – Several apartment dwellers were evacuated Tuesday night because of elevated carbon monoxide levels.

A tenant at the Meridian at Hamilton Place Apartments called the fire department to check the CO levels.

Firefighters found elevated levels and began evacuations.

They checked several possible causes.

Eventually they decided that work on the gas heat system on the roof earlier in the day could have been the culprit.

The gas company put locks on all the meters of the affected apartments.

Luckily, no one was injured.

Fire officials say “Thanks to the concerned citizen who notified the fire department and potentially stopped a dangerous situation from becoming much worse. Their carbon monoxide alarm was their first sign that something wasn’t right.”

Categories: Featured, Local News