Chattanooga Fire Dept. urges citizens to burn with caution

HAMILTON COUNTY, Tenn. (WDEF) — The Chattanooga Fire Department is urging residents to use caution when burning anything outdoors. A Wednesday afternoon fire sparked the concern.

Just before 2 p.m. in East Lake, a citizen was burning debris in a barrel, which they left unattended.

CFD soon had to respond to 3rd Avenue after the wind carried embers out of the barrel. The fire department said it spread to the undergrowth and dry leaves, which then spread to surrounding grass.

Soon, a neighbor’s shed had caught fire and was damaged.

A van next to that shed became damaged as well.

Chattanooga Firefighters were able to stop and contain the fire.

However, the resident at fault did not have a permit to burn. That individual was cited for reckless burning, according to the CFD.

They said there were no injuries.

But they still ask citizens to keep a water source on hand if they do any burning.

CFD also said citizens should never leave a fire unattended.

Categories: Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Local News