Child with Lighter Starts Morning Fire

Chattanooga, TN (WDEF) – Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire around 7:30am Saturday in the 2100 block of East 12th Street.

Black smoke was showing when firefighters arrived on the scene, where they encountered heat in the back of the home. No one was found in the residence after primary and secondary searches.

The fire was located in a bedroom and was extinguished in about 25 minutes. The dollar loss was estimated at $30,000.

An 8-year-old boy was transported by Hamilton County EMS to Children’s Hospital at Erlanger for treatment for smoke inhalation. The child’s injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, but he may be kept overnight for observation.

Fire investigators believe the fire was started by a child playing with a cigarette lighter.

Volunteers with the Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the mother and her seven children. Chattanooga police also provided assistance on the scene.

Photos by Senior Firefighter Any Carson

Categories: Chattanooga, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *