Cooking Fire Sends Woman to Local Hospital
Chattanooga, Tenn. (WDEF) — Chattanooga firefighters responded to a duplex fire at 4518 Norcross Road shortly after 9:00 this morning.
Battalion Chief Chris Warren said a resident from one side the duplex told firefighters that she put some fries on the stove to cook, but fell asleep. She said she woke to the smell of smoke and discovered that her kitchen was on fire.
The woman got out of her apartment, but was suffering from smoke inhalation.
She was transported by Hamilton County EMS to a local hospital for treatment of her injuries.
Chief Warren said firefighters with Quint 19 arrived on the scene and quickly extinguished the fire, containing the fire damage to the kitchen area. The rest of the apartment unit, and the unit next door, sustained moderate smoke damage.
The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental, from food being left unattended on the stove.
Chief Warren said the outcome could have been even worse, because no working smoke alarms were found in the residence.
Firefighters say a woman fell asleep when her kitchen caught on fire on Norcross Road. She had to be taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. pic.twitter.com/Ts0CelrFp6
— Robyn Estabrook (@RobynWDEF) December 4, 2017