Disposing of ashes leads to morning house fire

CHATTANOOGA (WDEF) – Chattanooga firefighters battled a house fire this morning in Dalewood.

They got the call at 11:23 AM to the 1,000 block of Talley Road.

A neighbor spotted the flames coming from a garage and called 911.

The fire started in a trash can next to the garage and spread to an exterior wall.

Firefighters managed to put it out before the fire spread to the main house.

Fire officials say we can all learn a lesson from how it started.

The resident says he emptied fireplace ashes into the garbage can.

He thought they had cooled off, but obviously not enough.

Chattanooga fire officials have this advice for disposing of ashes.

– If possible, allow ashes and coals to cool in the area where you had the fire for several days. The fireplace or grill is designed to contain their heat safely.
– When it’s time to dispose of the ashes, transfer them to a metal container and wet them down.
– Keep the container outside your home and away from any combustibles until the refuse is hauled away.
– DO NOT use galvanized containers as hot coals on the galvanized metal will release noxious fumes.
– DO NOT place other combustibles in the container.
– DO NOT use a combustible container

Categories: Chattanooga, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *