East Brainerd home damaged by fire

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) – Improperly discarded smoking materials appear to have started East Brainerd house fire.

Around 3:00 p.m. Tuesday the Chattanooga Fire Department was dispatched to a possible house fire at 6825 Greenway Drive in East Brainerd.

Occupant George Bernham told responding firefighters that when he arrived home, he saw and smelled smoke inside the residence.

Bernham said he called 911 and evacuated the structure.

The Chattanooga Fire Department dispatched four fire units and a Battalion Chief to the residence upon receipt of the alarm.

Fire Department Captain Terri Roshell reported light smoke inside the structure.

Upon investigation, firefighters found a small fire in the bathroom of the structure that was contained to a pile of rags and tarps in the bathroom.

Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire and reported the fire was contained to the bathroom area.

Officials determined the fire most likely started from improperly discarded smoking materials that fell into the pile of rags.

Damages were estimated at $5,000.

Chattanooga Police Department and Hamilton County EMS were also on the scene assisting fire department personnel.

The Chattanooga Fire Department (CFD) is a career department that responds to over 16,000 emergencies annually.

The department serves the citizens, properties and visitors of the city of Chattanooga, which has the fourth largest population in the state of Tennessee at 167,674 (U.S. Census Bureau, 2010).

Categories: Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *