Fire Hazard Warning

The Chattanooga Fire Department has a warning to share about a potential fire hazard.

The hazard involves air conditioners in homes and vehicles. To save money, some AC repair companies are using propane as a refrigerant. The downside is that propane is highly flammable and explosive. The propane is being called "22a" or "R22a." The EPA says it is not designed for air conditioners in homes or vehicles. Rick Boatwright, Chattanooga Fire Department Battalion Chief said, "If someone did put propane into a refrigerant system its just highly flamable. Any leak, from an automobile getting hot, so does your HVAC system. The explosion hazard is high. It causes fire and its very dangerous for the firefighters."

So far there have been no local incidents due to this fire hazard.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *