Gas Leak Leads to Morning Evacuation in Downtown Chattanooga

A gas leak near Walnut Street in downtown Chattanooga lead to the evacuation of a daycare.

Monday morning, we’re told, a construction crew accidentally cut a two-inch hole in a natural gas line.

The leak was contained within hours.

However, as a precaution, several children were evacuated from the Little Miss Mag Daycare.

They were taken to the Unum cafeteria.

No injuries were reported.

Captain George Turley, with the Chattanooga Fire Department, says, "There’s nothing adjacent to the building itself and the leak, everything in proximity is far enough away. We’ve been monitoring the area with our gas monitors to make sure that all the readings are low enough that everybody is safe."

Several streets had to be blocked off to fix the leak, but they have since been reopened.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *