Hooked On Science – Create a Soda Shower with a Mentos
PLEASE follow these safety precautions when doing any science experiment.
• ALWAYS have an adult present.
• ALWAYS wear the correct safety gear while doing any experiment.
• NEVER eat or drink anything while doing any experiment.
• REMEMBER experiments may require marbles, small balls, balloons, and other small parts. Those objects could become a CHOKING HAZARD. Adults are to perform those experiments using these objects. Any child can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Keep uninflated or broken balloons away from children.
• 10 Mentos
• Sheet of Paper
• Index Card
• 2-Liter Bottle of Diet Soda
STEP 1: Create a soda showers launcher tube by rolling the sheet of paper into a tube. Make sure the tube is a little bigger than the diameter of the Mentos. Use the tape to hold the paper in place. Describe and classify the Mentos by their observable properties.
STEP 2: Open the 2-liter bottle of diet soda, place the soda on the ground, and put the index card over the opening. Describe and classify the diet soda by its observable properties.
STEP 3: Load the Mentos into the launcher tube.
STEP 4: Place the launcher tube directly above the opening of the 2-liter bottle of diet soda. Keep the index card between the bottle and your launcher tube.
STEP 5: Quickly remove the index card allowing the Mentos to fall into the 2-liter bottle of diet soda. Stand back and observe soda showers. Did dropping the Mentos into the diet soda result in a new substance?
When the Mentos drop into the soda, the carbon dioxide gas bubbles, in the soda, attract to the tiny dents on the surface of the Mentos creating a physical reaction. When this happens there is a rapid release of carbon dioxide gas creating soda showers.