Hooked On Science – Keep Your Napkin Dry While Submerged In Water
PLEASE follow these safety precautions when doing any science experiment.
• ALWAYS have an adult present.
• ALWAYS wear the correct safety gear while doing any experiment.
• NEVER eat or drink anything while doing any experiment.
• REMEMBER experiments may require marbles, small balls, balloons, and other small parts. Those objects could become a CHOKING HAZARD. Adults are to perform those experiments using these objects. Any child can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Keep uninflated or broken balloons away from children.
• Transparent Plastic Cup
• Deep Container or Aquarium
STEP 1: Fill the deep container or aquarium 3/4 of the way with water. Describe and classify the water by its observable properties.
STEP 2: Crumple the napkin and stuff it into the transparent plastic cup. Describe and classify the napkin by its observable properties.
STEP 3: Turn the cup upside-down and dunk it completely into the deep container or aquarium of water.
STEP 4: Remove the cup from the water and observe the napkin. Is it wet or dry? Why? Describe and classify the napkin by its observable properties.
While dunking the upside-down cup, with a napkin inside, you captured some air. Air is matter, which is anything that takes up space and has mass. The air keeps the napkin dry.