Mocs Athletes Set GPA Record This Spring
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Athletics Department continues to enjoy another outstanding year in the classroom, in competition and in the community. Coming off a Southern Conference title in softball over the weekend, the Mocs announce a school-record 3.11 cumulative grade-point-average for the 2015 spring semester today.
This is the third consecutive term the Mocs have combined for a 3.0 g.p.a. across the board. The 3.11 topped the previous benchmark of 3.07 set last spring. UTC also tied a school record with 12 teams recording a 3.0 for the fourth semester in a row.
“I am extremely proud of the hard work and dedication our student-athletes put forth in the classroom,” stated Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics David Blackburn. “We are creating and cultivating a culture of success across the board, and this is another example of the winning mindset our student-athletes are displaying in everything they do.”
Over the last six years, half of the Mocs have earned a spot on the Athletics Director’s Honor Roll with a 3.0 g.p.a. or better. This time, a school record 141 of the 276 student-athletes (51%) at UTC made the Dean’s List with a 3.2 or higher mark.
The women’s cross country team led all individual sports with a 3.79 team g.p.a. The women’s cross country/track & field, football and men’s golf teams all shattered their previous individual program highs.
Men’s golf made the biggest jump with its 3.47 team g.p.a. That was up from the previous high of 3.35 in the spring of 2010. The runners beat their 3.69 record from last fall with a 3.73 this term.
The SoCon champion football team upped its prevoius high of 2.66 in both semesters in 2011, to a 2.77 in the spring. The football team also had a program high with 37 on the A.D. Honor Roll and 26 on the Dean’s List.
“I would also like to point out the hard work of our coaches, Student Support Services staff and the University community for equipping our student-athletes for success,” added Blackburn. “Our coaches lay the foundation with how they run their programs, while our academic staff works tirelessly to help all of our student-athletes reach their goals.”
The chart below shows the growth of student-athlete g.p.a.’s over the last eight years. UTC has risen from a 2.51 cumulative score in the spring of 2007, to the current benchmark of 3.11.
– School-record 3.11 overall g.p.a. … third consecutive term with a 3.0+ GPA.
– School record 141 on the Dean’s List with a 3.2 g.p.a. … 51% of all student-athletes made the Dean’s List … highest percentage on record.
– 12th straight semester with over half of all Mocs at a 3.0 or better.
– Tied a school record with 12 teams posting a 3.0 or better for the fourth straight term.
– The SoCon Champion Football team had a program record 2.77 team g.p.a. The Mocs also set marks with 27 on the Dean’s List and 38 on the A.D. Honor Roll.
– Men’s Golf had a program record 3.47 team g.p.a.
– Women’s cross country/track & field had a program record 3.73 team g.p.a. They also tied a program record with 18 on the A.D. Honor Roll.