Orange Grove Center evacuated due to fire
The staff had already evacuated the building.
Firefighters searched through thick, black smoke on the second floor of the building housing the Materials Recovery Facility with hand-held hoselines.
They found the fire on a conveyer belt.
They got it under control in about 20 minutes.
No injuries were reported.
The cause was ruled accidental.
Orange Grove employees told firefighters they were using an acetylene torch to install a new conveyer belt.
It’s believed that heat or sparks from the torch sparked the fire.
Firefighters set up high-powered fans to get the smoke out of the building.
Damage was limited to the conveyer belt, but it will take the center some time to clean up from the smoke and water damage from the sprinkler system.