Shallowford Apartment Fire Displaces 17, Third Apartment Fire in Ten Days

CHATTANOOGA (WDEF) – A resident of Waterford Place Apartments off Shallowford Road said he was cooking fish in his kitchen when he and his brother went outside. Moments later, smoke was billowing from the roof. Thinking fast, resident Sam Elhassan ran back inside.

“It was, everything was black. He couldn’t see nothing. So he jumped from the balcony,” says Sam’s brother Osman Elhassan.

9-1-1 received the call just before 7. “He knows there is a lot of kids in this area. So he did knock on each door very hard, which is eight units, to let everybody come out so he did an amazing job,” says Elhassan. In fact, the Chattanooga Fire Department credits the neighbors warning each other for the reason there were no injuries. The fire department says there’s been a high number of apartment fires lately.

“Over the last ten days, we’ve had three apartment fires that have displaced 60 people in our area,” says Battalion Chief Rick Boatwright.

“Practice home escape plans. Make sure you have a working smoke detector. And if you don’t pleased feel free to reach out to us if you’re a city resident and we’ll make sure you have a working smoke detector,” says Fire Marshal William Matlock.

With such a high number of people unexpectedly displaced, the local American Red Cross has opened a shelter.

“We worked with our partners at a local church to provide a shelter where people can come and stay. We provided three meals a day. Comfort kit items,” says Julia Wright with the American Red Cross.

The American Red Cross is asking for support at redcross.org/donate and the Elhassan’s have started a GoFundMe you can access here.

Categories: Chattanooga, Featured, Local News