Suspect from 36th Street shooting in custody

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) — A suspect wanted in connection with yesterday’s early morning shooting on 36th Street in Chattanooga is now in custody.

Local police and U.S. Marshals closed in on him Wednesday morning. The shooting suspect was taken into custody after putting up a fight with law enforcement.

Police have identified that shooting suspect as 19-year old Garaek Lopopolo. He also goes by the name Garaek Gaddis.

It was inside this King’s Lodge Motel room where Chattanooga Police and U.S. Marshals moved in on shooting suspect Garaek Lopopolo, and according to authorities, Lopopolo was not ready to surrender.

“He put up a mild struggle and we had to use our K-9 to make the arrest,” says Sgt. Steve Campbell with Chattanooga Police.

On Tuesday, police spent a great deal of time looking for Lopopolo after he was accused of shooting and robbing a relative in the 1300 block of East 36th Street. The alleged assault and robbery happened shortly after 2 A..M. Police credit the quick turnaround of nabbing the suspect to a cooperative victim.

“It was his cousin that got shot and he told us who shot him, so that was part of the reason we had a quick turnaround, but he didn’t tell us where he was at. Garaek was on the run and was at multiple locations. Through multiple sources, we were tracking his location,” continues Sgt. Campbell.

And that tracking led police to this motel room.

Another man who was also in the room tells News 12 off camera that Lopopolo and his girlfriend came to him last night and said he needed a place to stay. The man we spoke to says he had no idea Lopopolo was a shooting suspect until police raided his room.

While on scene, police also arrested Lopopolo’s girlfriend after learning she had active warrants. As for the shooting victim, police say his gunshot wound was non-life threatening.

Lopopolo is no stranger to law enforcement. Earlier this year hew was convicted on multiple drug charges under the name Garaek Gaddis. Last year in Catoosa County he was arrested twice on multiple criminal charges under the name Garaek Lopopolo.


Categories: Chattanooga, Crime, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *