Update: Boy Burned In Fire

Wed. 11AM Update:

The 9-year-old boy who was seriously burned last night has been transferred to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia. Chattanooga fire investigators are still trying to determine exactly what happened when the boy was burned shortly before 6:00 p.m. Tuesday at 3510 5th Avenue.

———————————————-

A 9 year old boy got seriously burned in the front yard of his home in East Lake after an adult was burning trash. The boy got a can of gasoline, and the fire is now being investigated.

Here is the news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department:

A 9-year-old boy was badly burned late this afternoon in East Lake. Details are still being obtained, but the incident occurred in the front yard of a house located at 3510 5th Avenue. The Chattanooga Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 5:50 p.m.

Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said an adult relative of the boy was burning trash in the front yard. The boy reportedly obtained a can of gasoline. What exactly happened next remains under investigation, but the boy received 2nd and 3rd degree burns to approximately 50% of his body. Lt. McElvain said most of the burns are from the waist down.

Hamilton County EMS rushed the boy to Children’s Hospital at Erlanger, where he was being treated for his burns. An update on his condition was not available. Chattanooga police are assisting with the investigation.

Categories: Hamilton County, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *