5 injured by fire sparked by leaking gas at Alabama school

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) – Authorities say five people were injured by a sudden fire sparked by leaking gas at a Catholic school on the Alabama coast.

News outlets report the flames erupted Saturday inside a kitchen at St. Vincent de Paul School in Mobile.

Two adults, a teenager and two children were taken to a hospital to be treated for burns and gas inhalation.

The source of the igniting gas wasn’t immediately known.

Mobile Fire-Rescue spokesman Steve Huffman said a man was using hot water to warm propane tanks that had been left outside in freezing temperatures overnight.

But WKRG-TV reports fire officials also found a natural gas leak inside the building.

Huffman said the “flash fire” knocked out ceiling tiles and damaged the interior of the kitchen, but didn’t set the building ablaze.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Categories: Regional News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *