Agnes Avenue house fire ruled accidental

Chattanooga, TN (WDEF) – Chattanooga Fire officials say the cause of a home fire Tuesday on Agnes Avenue was accidental.

Officials say the residents were moving into the home, and someone had put boxes in front of a wall heater in the bathroom.

Lt. Henry McElvain believes that it was cool enough for the heater to come on.

The boxes then got hot and caught fire.

No one was home at the time.

A neighbor saw smoke and called 9-1-1.

Firefighters kept the blaze to the bathroom, but the rest of the home has some smoke and water damage.

Damage is estimated at $45,000.

The Red Cross is helping the victims.

It’s not known how many people lived there.

Firefighters warn people to be aware of potential fire dangers with portable heaters and wall heaters.

"Some of those heaters don’t have on/off switches,” said McElvain. “They just have a knob that goes from low to high. Even now, the temperature is dropping into the 50s overnight, and that may be enough for heaters to cycle on.”

He says to remember to keep things 3 feet away from heaters.

Categories: Chattanooga, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *