MORE: Brush Fire off Lee Highway (VIDEO)

Chattanooga, Tenn. (WDEF) – Chattanooga Fire Officials say the fire in the 7300 block of Lee Highway was caused by an outside cooking fire.

The Chattanooga Fire Department says the cooking fire first caught grass on fire, and then spread to the former animal clinic. The building had been vacant for many years and being demolished.

Officials say the call came in just before 1:00 pm Sunday afternoon and the fire was out less than an hour later.

According to the Chattanooga Fire Department, an elevated water source was used to put out the fire, and construction equipment was used to move the pile of rubble from the building to ensure the fire was completely extinguished.


 

Chattanooga, TN (WDEF) – Chattanooga Firefighters were called to the 7300 block of Lee Highway after receiving multiple calls of a brush fire at a retired animal shelter, now turned demolition site, on Sunday afternoon.

The fire is now under control and there are no reported injuries (See Facebook Live video below).

With the smoke from the blaze easily visible from the interstate, open flames spread from the demolition site to several trees close to a Dollar General Store.
Fire2
Fire crews handling the scene stated that individuals working at the location were cooking and accidentally started the fire which quickly spread out of control.

This is a developing story. Stay with News 12 Now as more information becomes available.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *