Candle blamed for overnight house fire

CHATTANOOGA (WDEF) – Chattanooga firefighters got the call to a home at 6514 Pine Manor Drive just before 1:30 Monday morning.

They arrived to find smoke pouring out of a bedroom window.

The firefighters quickly got the fire out, but not before there was smoke and water damage to the rest of the house.

There was no electricity to the home at the time and the resident was using the candle for light.

He says he left the room briefly, but when he returned, the room was on fire.

From 2009-2013, fire departments in the U.S. have responded to an estimated 9,300 home structure fires that were started by candles. These fires caused 86 deaths, 827 injuries and $374 million in direct property damage.

During the five-year period of 2009-2013:
• Candles caused 3% of reported home fires, 3% of home fire deaths, 6% of home fire injuries, and 5% of the direct property damage in home fires.
• Roughly one-third (36%) of home candle fires started in bedrooms. These fires caused 32% of the associated deaths and 47% of the associated injuries.
• Falling asleep was a factor in 11% percent of the home candle fires and 30% of the associated deaths.
• On average, 25 home candle fires were reported per day.
• More than half (58%) of home candle fires occurred when some form of combustible material was left or came too close to the candle.
• December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. In December, 11% of home candle fires began with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.
Source: NFPA “Home Candle Fires” report (December 2015)

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *