Chemical reaction causes explosion in apartment building

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) — A person spraying chemicals with no ventilation resulted in a small explosion at an apartment building on Monday.

The Chattanooga Fire Department responded to the incident at 10:45 a.m.

They said someone was working on a vacant apartment at the Marina Pointe Apartments on Lake Resort Drive. CFD said that person was resurfacing a bathtub.

Apartment Explosion

Courtesy: Chattanooga Fire Department

The fire department said the vapors built up from the lack of ventilation when the person was spraying the chemicals. They said the vapors caught a spark and exploded.

Firefighters said this blew out the windows of the apartment and blew the bathroom door off its hinges.

They said the explosion gave the worker burns. Emergency personnel took her to the hospital for treatment. Additionally, officials evacuated the apartment building.

In addition, a city building inspector checked the building’s structure.

Firefighters monitored the air quality of every unit, and residents returned to their apartments.


Categories: Chattanooga, Featured, Local News