Chemical Spill forces residents to stay indoors

MONTEAGLE, Tennesse (WDEF) – Residents in Monteagle were ordered to shelter in place after a chemical spill.

For about four or five hours into the early morning, residents in the city were unable to leave their homes.

And exit ramps nearby were closed off.

The problem was a vapor cloud fuming from a truck parked behind a restaurant on Dixie Lee Avenue.

Truck drivers in the immediate area evacuated the scene and hazmat crews arrived discovering that the trucks tank had been breached.

The chemical that escaped is called Butyl Chloride.

Marion County’s EMA Director Steve Lamb says the fumes are hard to breathe, but no one got hurt.

The shelter in place order was lifted around 9 AM.

‘Everbridge’ is the name of the emergency notification system used to warn residents.

Authorities want more Marion and Grundy County residents to sign up for emergency notifications with EMA.

Here is a link to register:

Categories: Featured, Grundy County, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *