CPD reminds drivers of school zone safety
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) – Many students began the 2017/18 school year today in Chattanooga and Hamilton County. The Chattanooga Police Department is reminding all users of the road to be mindful of the increased activity near schools and in school zones.
Drivers can adopt different behaviors after a summer of driving without decreased speed limits in school zones, no school bus drop-offs/pick-ups, and a limited number of kids walking and biking to/from near schools.
CPD wants to educate motorists and remind everyone to adjust driving habits to ensure the safety of everyone in and around school zones.
Tips for Drivers
- Follow the Speed Limit – Slow down! Schools have reduced speed zones around them.
- Allow More Time. As the new school year begins, allow yourself more time to get where you are going until you can figure out the effects of increased traffic and reduced speeds through school zones.
- Stay Alert! Pay attention to the road, keep your eyes open for kids crossing the street or biking on the shoulders. STAY OFF THE PHONE PLEASE.
- Watch for School Patrol Officers and obey their signs.
- Learn the Rules. Schools usually have places for parents to drop-off and pick-up children. If you are driving your child to school, learn where these areas are and follow the procedures.
- Stop for School Buses. When the red lights are flashing that means stop.
- Yield to Pedestrians. Remember to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and do not block a crosswalk. When a pedestrian is in a crosswalk they have the right-of-way.
- Don’t double park to let children out of a car. Double parking blocks visibility for other children and vehicles.
- Look for bicyclists before opening car doors.
Tips for Students
- Always buckle up when you’re riding in a car.
- If you ride a school bus, learn and practice the safety rules for waiting at the bus stop, getting on and off the bus, and riding the bus.
- If you walk to school, learn and practice the safety rules for pedestrians. Cross at crosswalks, obey all traffic signs, traffic lights and safety patrol instructions.
Tips for Riding Bicycles to/from School
- Always wear a helmet and follow traffic safety rules when riding your bike.
- Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as motorists and must follow the same traffic rules and laws.
- Ride on the right in the same direction as vehicles on the road.
- Ride in a straight line, not in and out of cars. Signal your moves to others.
- Do NOT wear ear buds or a headset. Cyclists need their ears as much as they need their eyes to avoid dangerous situations.
- Look before turning, even if you have the right-of-way.
- Watch for parked cars and doors opening unexpectedly.
- Lock your bike once you arrive at school