Daughter saves 89-year old mother during house fire

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee(WDEF) –  A Chattanooga mom and daughter are lucky to be alive after their home caught on fire.

It happened early Tuesday morning in the 1400 block of Bradt Street.

Jasmine Wright and her 89-year old mother were inside the house when the fire ignited.

"I woke up to use the bathroom and I smelled smoke. So I got my mom and told her the house is on fire and to get up. She said she couldn’t. She got upset and she couldn’t right then," Wright said.

Fearing the worst, Wright went into survivor mode and did the unthinkable.

"I told my mother we have to get out of here. So I broke the back window out and then I pulled her out."

Miraculously, both women escaped the inferno without injury and Wright managed to get her mom across the street to a neighbors house.

Another neighbor called 9-1-1.

It took four fire companies to put out the blaze. Luckily for investigators, Wright was able to give a description of where the fire may have first ignited.

"It was on the left side of the house and I saw flames coming out of the kitchen," Wright said.

Fire investigators estimate damages to be around $60,000. Wright told WDEF the home was not insured and was in the process being put on the market next month.

Both women are reportedly staying with relatives.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *