Electrical fire damages house on East 34th St

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) — Chattanooga Firefighters responded to a house fire East 34th around 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

Chattanooga Fire Captain Chris Cordes says the fire started in or behind the breaker box.

According to the fire department, the residents say they heard popping and cracking sounds and discovered the fire around the breaker box.

The residents also told firefighters they tried to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher, but were not successful.

Firefighters say it took them about 15 minutes to get the fire out.

Chattanooga Fire says firefighters were able to contain the fire to one room of the house which caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.

Fire officials say one resident suffered minor cuts from breaking a window; he was treated on the scene by firefighters.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, according to Chattanooga Fire.

Power was disconnected to the home, so the American Red Cross is assisting the residents.

**Photo by Captain Chris Cordes

Categories: Chattanooga, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *