Explosions as N. Korea says nuke test site destroyed

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un meets nuclear weapons scientists and technicians in an undated photo released by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on March 9, 2016.

DigitalGlobe/38 North

NEAR PUNGGYE-RI, North Korea — North Korea said Thursday that it had destroyed its Punggye-ri nuclear test site. CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy was the only U.S. network correspondent there to witness several large explosions. 

The planned dismantling was previously announced by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ahead of the planned summit with President Trump in Singapore next month. The prospects for that summit remained in doubt early Thursday, after the North Korean regime lashed out anew at the Trump administration.

This is a developing story. Check back shortly for Ben Tracy’s full report from Punggye-ri. 

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Categories: International News, US & World News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *