Homeowner Safe After Kitchen Catches Fire

Chattanooga, Tenn. (WDEF) – One man is safe and sound after his house went up in flames this afternoon.

Chattanooga firefighters responded to the house fire around 3 p.m. on the 3700 block of Thrushwood Drive. Officials say firefighters put the flames out quickly, containing the fire damage to the kitchen area.

The resident of the home is a 91-year-old man, who told firefighters that he had just put a pan of oil on the stove to heat up and left the kitchen. When he returned, the stove was already on fire and spreading to the cabinets above.

The man tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, and when that failed, he left the house and called 911. He was not injured. The cause of the house fire is being ruled as accidental. The homeowner will be staying with relives until repairs are made to his house.

Categories: Chattanooga, Crime, Hamilton County

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *