Hooked On Science – Trick the Brain with Coffee Cup Sleeves
PLEASE follow these safety precautions when doing any science experiment.
• ALWAYS have an adult present.
• ALWAYS wear the correct safety gear while doing any experiment.
• NEVER eat or drink anything while doing any experiment.
• REMEMBER experiments may require marbles, small balls, balloons, and other small parts. Those objects could become a CHOKING HAZARD. Adults are to perform those experiments using these objects. Any child can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Keep uninflated or broken balloons away from children.
• 2 Identical Coffee Sleeves
STEP 1: Unfold and open the coffee sleeves. Hold one of the coffee sleeves above the other, lining up the two left ends, and observe.
STEP 2: Switch the coffee sleeves and observe. Is one longer than the other? Construct an argument on how your eyes, an external structure, works with your brain, an internal structure, to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
The bottom coffee sleeve looks longer when compared to the top coffee sleeve. Although each coffee sleeve is exactly the same size, your eyes compare the bottom arc of the top coffee sleeve to the top arc of the bottom coffee sleeve, which is longer. This tricks your brain into believing the bottom coffee sleeve is longer.