Jury listens to phone calls in triple homicide trial

HAMILTON COUNTY, Tenn. (WDEF) — The 2014 Lookout Valley triple homicide trial is winding down, with the state resting its case.

On the fifth day of Derek Morse’s triple homicide trial, prosecutors questioned a Eric Qualls, with the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, about what cell he was in.

Last week Morse’s cellmate, Michael Shavers, says while in jail Morse admitted to killing Caleb Boozer, Jon Morris and John Lang.

“So the entire time Mr. Morse was in the jail cell, Mr. Shavers was there as well? Is that correct?” asked a prosecutor.

“Yes,” Qualls said.

Prosecutors then asked about inmate’s phone calls.

“Whatever officer needed the copy of the phone calls. They email a request of them. I go back and research and find the calls of them, burn them to a disc and let the officer know that they are ready and for them to come and pick them up,” Qualls said.

The jury then listened to a phone call from Morse to his child’s mother the day after the homicides.

“So you didn’t do it? she asked.

“Nope,” Morse said.

He then asked the woman on the phone to take careful notes.

“So you’ve got a pen and paper?” he asked.  “Alright. I woke up at your house, just write this down. I woke up at your house. I went home and took a shower. I came back we ate breakfast. I went to school. I worked out.”

He also mentioned he had been to various business and it was all caught on surveillance video.

“We came to the valley. I went to subway. Me and Jacob are on camera at Subway,” Morse said.

The state rested its case. There was a question if prosecutors could use photos of the guns that were found on Morse’s phone. The defense said they found out about the photos a day before the trial. The judge ruled it can only be used if Morse testifies and says he has no knowledge of the weapons.

The trial will resume Tuesday at 1 p.m.

Categories: Hamilton County, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *