Man loses everything in a fire on Moses Road

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (WDEF)-

A fire this afternoon leaves a man with almost nothing.

Paul Boyd built his home five years ago for his disabled wife and today, he lost everything.

Boyd says, “you can replace the houses but you know, my wife and I were married for 40 years all the memories and all the memories and videotapes, photos on the wall and that kind of stuff is all gone.”

Paul Boyd has lived on this land for years.

He and his wife lived in a mobile home before he built a handicap accessible home for her.

Unfortunately, Boyd’s wife passed away last year.

Now, he is left trying to figure out what his next and how his home became a “total loss” today.

“I have a fire place and there was a fire in the fire place. I don’t know if that was the source of the fire. Shouldn’t be much of a fire, should have been ’bout out”, says Boyd.

A neighbor noticed that Mr. Boyd’s house was on fire.

Luckily for him, he wasn’t at home.

The Dallas Bay Fire department worked as quickly as possible to put the fire out.

But, the warm temperatures added extra stress to the firefighters on the scene.

LT. NICK WILSON/HAMILTON COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT-Lt. Nick Wilson of Hamilton County Emergency Management says, “You practically don’t know how to dress these days,ya know a short-sleeve t-shirt to fight fires or a long sleeve sweatshirt under your turnout gear. It’s changing up on them a little bit today and they are seeing that challenge as well. Like I said, the home sets a pretty good ways up off the roadway and it was quite a struggle for them to climb that hill. It was quite a climb up the other side of the driveway.”

According to Hamilton County Emergency Services, the home is a total loss and there was a total of $300,000 worth of damages.

The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the fire.

Categories: Chattanooga, Featured, Hamilton County, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *