UTC Police Investigating Attempted Apartment Burglary
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) – University of Tennessee Chattanooga Police are investigating a report of an attempted burglary at Lockmiller Apartments. The attempted burglary was reported around 3:00 p.m.
The school sent an email to students say that an unknown suspect attempted to enter a locked apartment through an exterior window, but was unsuccessful. The alert says that the suspect has been described as an African American male with light complexion, possibly college age, and about five feet ten inches wearing a black hoodie.
The last known direction of travel was toward McCallie Avenue as the investigation continues.
Students were told to stay inside and report suspicious activity to the UTC PD at (423) 425-4357 if you have any information concerning this crime.
The UTC Police Department is available 24 hours per day. Crimes and other emergencies can be reported by calling (423) 425-4357 (non-emergencies) or 911 (emergencies).
The alert also stated that “while the UTC Police work to provide a safe learning and living environment on campus, it is also critically important that you take steps to enhance personal safety and the protection of your possessions. Please keep apartment doors locked.”
They included these campus safety tips as well.
To contact UTCPD for help or to report a crime in progress; you may use any of the following options:
• Pick up a Blue Light Phone from any location.
• From a campus Red Phone – dial 911.
• From a cell phone (423) 425-4357. Consider adding this number to your cell phone’s quick dial list.
• Call 911 from a safe location to reach local police.
Remember these very important tips:
• Trust your instincts. If you sense that something is wrong, get away from the situation. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
• Don’t let strangers into your apartments, and don’t go into strangers’ apartments.
• Please keep apartment doors looked.
• Report suspicious activity and vandalism immediately.
Where you live:
• Keep your doors and windows locked day and night. Don’t let strangers in. Ask to see proper identification.
• If you are not expecting a service worker, call UTC Police to dispatch an officer to investigate.
• Don’t leave a door unlocked for someone planning to come back later.