Video released of Austin East school shooting in Knoxville

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (WDEF) – The District Attorney in Knoxville showed video on Wednesday of the shooting at Austin-East High School 9 days ago.

It was part of the announcement that police officers will not face charges in the shooting.

Her reluctance to release the officer body camera video has been an ongoing controversy in the case.

A 17 year old student was shot and killed by officers after they were called to the school about a man with a gun on campus.

The original report claimed that the teenager shot one of the officers and then another returned fire killing him.

But tests showed the bullet that hit the officer did not come from the teen’s gun.  Instead, his shot went into a trash can.

DA Charme Allen has argued that releasing the video before would have jeopardized the investigation.

The teen’s parents also did not want the video released publicly.

We now know that police were called by the mother of the teenager’s girlfriend after the couple had a fight at the school.

She told police that he had threatened her with a gun.

The video shows the officers found him in a restroom and tried to physically take his gun away from him.

The officer says he felt the teen was aiming the gun at officers through his pocket and fired, hitting both the teen and his fellow officer.

In the video, it looks like the police officer is more severely injured of the two, but, in fact, it was the opposite.

The teen did not receive medical treatment for 4 minutes, and officials now say by then it was too late.

Here is the timeline of events as laid out today by Knoxville District Attorney General Charme Allen.

    • 12:30 p.m. at Austin-East Magnet High School, Anthony Thompson Jr. was first reported entering into a domestic incident with another student.
    • 12:48 p.m., DA Charme Allen explains Anthony Thompson Jr. got into a second domestic assault at the high school.
    • 1:16 p.m., Regina Perkins, mother of the domestic assault victim, text messages Anthony Thompson Jr. concerning her daughter.
    • 1:59 p.m. Regina Perkins makes a 911 call about Anthony Thompson Jr. At the same time, school security footage showed Thompson Jr. sitting in an Austin-East stairwell.
    • 2:15 p.m. KPD officer Clabough responds to Regina Perkins’s residence following the 911 call, speaks to the domestic assault victim. Regina Perkins explains to the KPD officer Anthony Thompson Jr. has threatened her daughter with a gun before.
    • Officer Clabough calls Security Resource Officer Willson regarding more information into Anthony Thompson Jr. Officer Willson confirms to Officer Clabough there was a domestic assault incident at the school.
    • 2:23 p.m. there is a text message exchange between Regina Perkins and Anthony Thompson Jr. DA Allen says Anthony never leaves the restroom after this time.
    • 2:51 p.m. Anthony Thompson Jr. receives another text message from Regina Perkins
    • 2:53 p.m. Body camera video is shown of Officer Baldwin responding to Austin-East on a domestic assault complaint. DA Allen says officers were not aware that Thompson Jr. had a gun when they arrived at the school to arrest Thompson Jr. Officer Willson advised the officer that he had witnessed the domestic dispute between the students and had been monitoring school cameras to locate Thompson Jr.
    • 3:00 p.m. Officer Baldwin, Officer Cash, Officer Clabough and Officer Willson are in a classroom with Lieutenant Cash looking at security video searching for Anthony Thompson Jr. Officers remained in the office for nearly 10 minutes looking at school cameras in an attempt to locate Thompson Jr.
    • SSO Officer Scott approached the officers and notified them of a bathroom Thompson Jr. was known to hang out in. The officers, alongside SSO Officer Scott, approach a school bathroom. Officer Baldwin, Officer Cash, Officer Clabough and Officer Willson enter the bathroom and make contact with Thompson Jr.
    • 3:11 p.m. DA Charme Allen releases body cam footage of all four officers. The officers made contact with Thompson Jr. and a scuffle soon ensued. Officers attempted to take a gun out of Thompson Jr.’s possession. Officer Clabough was the one who ultimately fired the shots that killed Anthony Thompson Jr. He was the only officer to fire his weapon. Allen said the entire incident transpired in 11 seconds. Officer Willson was hit by gunfire from Officer Clabough’s gun. Willson was dragged out of the bathroom. One bullet was fired from Thompson’s gun. It went through a trash can.
    • Allen said it took four minutes for aid to be administered to Thompson Jr. by a school nurse. Allen said because of the severity of the injury, no matter how soon aid was provided, Thompson would not have survived.[0]=AZXRyR93c3rC5yIzGrW7jtsjGZ3IjoW_zR6yLBOPOJD8oly_PlvQhRLBi44LyixgfzwyBOFXg6ghtXFa-KZDy2wpTrm0k6ToXT8oyK_umvsx6SXpEaIgTF6hfCH2iCj6BAaHTdBLSuQ7Pw7LKaBYtGobesChXZVu8DAW-fLkPhL1Yw&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R


Categories: Featured, Regional News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *