WACKER plant to resume production following hydrogen gas leak

CHARLESTON, Tennessee (WDEF) – WACKER administration says safety remains their top priority as the company works to resume production after several incidents opened an investigation on the plant.

A release sent out Friday stated the WACKER-Charleston plant is open, and all site personnel remain employed as various work continues following the September 7th incident.

According to Vice President Polysilicon and Charleston Site Manager Mary Beth Hudson the company is working carefully and diligently towards resuming production.

Hudson noted production will only resume at the plant after a thorough inspection has been completed, following conclusion of the third-party expert investigation and after all necessary repairs have been made.

“Restarting production will take several months,” said Hudson. “We will take our time and cover all the necessary steps before the production process restarts.”

Hudson added that WACKER employees are supporting repair efforts and other site activities during the interim period.

WACKER-Charleston has removed the chemicals from the building where the hydrogen gas leak and explosion occurred on September 7th.

“This removal process was meticulous and efficient. Safety was and continues to be our top priority and focus,” said Hudson.

Hudson noted the physical damage to the building was not as significant as initially thought.

The building has been stabilized. The company continues its ongoing air quality monitoring at the site. These levels remain safe, according to Hudson.

“We are confident WACKER-Charleston will become stronger and better,” said Hudson. “We appreciate all the support we have received as well as the constructive feedback from our team members and the community. This feedback has been helpful as we strive long-term to be among the best corporate citizens for our community and for our state.”

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *