Woman replaced smoke alarms two days before they saved her life

CHATTANOOGA (WDEF) – A woman says her newly replaced fire alarm batteries saved her home.

Carrie Harris asked Chattanooga firefighters to replace the batteries for her home alarms in Woodmore.

And she added two new one’s outside her kitchen.

Just two days later, a candle got out of control in her kitchen and started a fire.

The alarms woke up Carrie and her daughter.

She was able to toss the candle in the sink and put the flames out herself.

“Now I would never believe that a candle would light up 12 hours later… I screamed, I carried on something awful… and I was so thankful that they put that one monitor in, smoke alarm monitor in, that I was able to save my life and my daughter’s life.”

The Chattanooga fire department will provide free smoke alarms or just replace your batteries, if you give them a call.

Categories: Chattanooga, Featured, Hamilton County, Local News