Mocs men rout Cumberland, 72-42
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (UTC Athletics) — The Chattanooga Mocs used a stingy defensive effort cruising to a 72-42 win over Cumberland in the last game of 2019. It was also the last non-conference contest with the Mocs moving to 9-5 on the year. It’s just the fifth time in the program’s illustrious history winning nine or more games before the New Year.
It was a game showcasing the team’s depth. All 13 student-athletes available exceeded 10 minutes of court time.
“Overall I felt good,” Coach Lamont Paris began. “I felt good that everybody got to play, and some played a lot of minutes. Some of those guys work hard during practice and we have a couple that are on the bubble of doing these things, other times they don’t do these things, so they don’t get as much opportunity in games to show if they can do it or not.
“Today was some good evidence, and some bad evidence, on if they’re able to do things in the game.”
A trio of Mocs reach double figures led by Ramon Vila’s 12 points and eight rebounds. David Jean-Baptiste added 11 points and five boards, while Matt Ryan checked in with 10. Aaron Ridley’s 13 points led the Phoenix.
Chattanooga pulled away midway through the first half. Jonathan Scott’s three sparked a 17-6 spurt over the final 9:45 of the first half to take a 40-21 lead into the break.
Vila’s work in the paint took the lead to 21, 48-27, at 14:12. It reached 30 less than five minutes later as Scott’s emphatic slam made it a 59-29 game. Prosper Obidiebube provided the largest lead of 31, 62-31, with a layup off a nice feed from Trey Doomes with 8:52 remaining.
“Our goal was to take care of business and be mature,” Vila shared. “These are games that can be close at half, and coach talked to us about that. He said we had to start strong. We took care of business early and allowed some players who don’t play as much to get some minutes to demonstrate what they can do and that they’re here for a reason.”
It’s back to the road to open the 2020 portion of the slate returning to Southern Conference play at Mercer on Jan. 4. The Mocs are back in the Roundhouse for a 3-game home stand following the trip to Mercer hosting Furman (Jan. 8), Samford (Jan. 11) and Wofford (Jan. 15).
Chattanooga 9-5 | Cumberland 9-5
“It doesn’t surprise me. Dave gets in there and does the right things. He does a lot and affects the game in a lot of ways. His energy and overall attitude, spirit, has been phenomenal. Especially over the last month. It’s trickled down to other guys and it’s helped our team in general.” – Coach Paris on David Jean-Baptiste
“I think we’ve been challenged in the non-conference in terms of the quality of our opponents and playing on the road. I like where we are from a mental standpoint and that we recognize that we still do have a long way to go and that our ceiling is pretty high if we find a way to get to it.” – Coach Paris on heading into SoCon play
Check out all we heard at the link above.
3 NOTES TO KNOW
– 42 points are the fewest allowed by the Mocs defense since 41 against Hiwassee on Dec. 21, 2011.
– Now 40-4 in the DI era in the first game back after the holiday break, 32-1 in the Roundhouse.
– Nine wins before the New Year for just the fifth time in school history: 1983-84 (9), 2002-03 (9), 2015-16 (11) & 2016-17 (10).
Check out all the notables at the link above.
3 STATS TO KNOW
– 21 first-half points for the Phoenix is the eighth opponent held to less than 30 in the first 20 minutes. Fewest this season below 22 by Alabama State in the Emerald Coast Classic win over the Hornets.
– The Mocs were +18 in scoring margin during Justin Brown’s 11:50 of playing time. That’s worth 1.52 points per minute. Jonathan Scott was a +17 (10:56) while David Jean-Baptiste’s +26 (25:05) was the top total.
– Just two offense rebounds given up on the day. The Mocs have allowed just five over the last 80 minutes of action.
Take a deeper dive into the numbers at the link above.
MBB UPCOMING GAMES
Jan. 4: at Mercer | Current Rec.: 6-8/0-1 | Next Opp: at UNCG (Jan. 1)
Jan. 8: Furman | Current Rec.: 11-3/1-0 | Next Opp: at VMI (Dec. 1)
Jan. 11: Samford | Current Rec.: 6-8 | Next Opp: The Citadel (Jan. 1)