Smoking blamed for Mountain Creek apartment fire

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (WDEF) – A Chattanooga investigator has ruled that a Thursday apartment fire in Mountain Creek was accidental.

The blazed damaged several units at The Arbors at Signal Mountain at 751 Runyan Drive Thursday afternoon.

The investigator say it started on the balcony of Apartment 103 on the second floor.

The cause was most likely improperly discarded cigarette butts.

The Chattanooga Fire Department says having a smoker in your household increases the chance of fire.

They offer these tips on staying safe:

– Use large, deep ashtrays and check them frequently.

– Ashtrays should be set on something sturdy and hard to ignite, like a table.

– Completely soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away. NEVER toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash.

– Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.

– Don’t smoke in bed or lying down, especially if you are drowsy, medicated or have been drinking alcohol.

– Smoking should not be allowed in a home where medical oxygen is being used.

– Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.

Categories: Chattanooga

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *